Thursday 15 May 2014

The Smiley Van



Phase One: Find the right Campervan: CHECK

Meet the Smiley Van. A 1997 Ford Spectron with less then 200 000km on the clock. 

I filtered through a million "Backpacker leaving town - need to sell ASAP" ads. It turns out Cairns is quite a convenient spot to buy a campervan, as all the backpackers leave here to hop to Asia.

Phase Two: Bring the van up to speed - make sure it is mechanically sound for a long road trip. - IN PROGRESS

The first thing I did to the van was take apart the makeshift bed inside. The sink setup is still currently there, but I plan on implementing my own layout once I get the van back from the mechanics. Lucky for me, my builder and van extraordinaire cousin, Adam, is up here working. It's times like this I'm grateful that my family has a serious "I can build that at home" mental attitude. Between Adam and my brother Baden, guiding me, I should be able to pull off a decent working layout.

The second thing I did, was replace all the tyres (they needed replacing), and drop it off to our family mechanics. It is currently still in the shop, getting all the needed doo hickies replaced and thingamijigs flushed.

I have been working on my design layout, currently have a "day seat, night bed" futon idea. The paint also needs some love. As much as the smiley faces are iconic, I'm thinking of painting over them and making it a bit more personal - maybe some geeky symbols, or a simple painting of each place I go.

The van is going to be home, and like a boat, is bigger on the inside. so the Smiley Van has been renamed to: The TARDIS. Which stands for:
Travelling
Automobile
Rediscovering
Destinations
In
Solitude 

No comments: