Monday 25 June 2012

To My Poppy


I don't want to have to say goodbye,
I don't want you to see me cry.
You've been so strong through all these years,
and of lately seen so many tears.
I still want to say so many things,
But when I try my heart stings.
In the past you's always bounce back,
Even though you gave us a heart-attack!
But this time really is the end.

I won't remember seeing you hooked up to machines,
I won't remember hearing your voice slow and soft,
I won't remember the hospital,
But I will remember you as 'Poppy the Sailor man'
I will remember those hard and silent chess matches
I will remember Molly, Camper-vans and trips to the beach
I will remember your endless stories.

You're sick and tired and we all know
Soon that will over take you
You fought so hard, so very long,
But through the pain you stayed strong
So now I just want to say, Fairwell Poppy,
Adieu.
And one day we will all join you...

- By Estelle Le Sueur

No comments: